Let's Get Fresh: Frugal Foodie Mama Shares Recipe for Honey & Herb Roasted Chicken with Autumn Squash
By Connect-Bridgeport Staff on September 29, 2019 from Let’s Get Fresh
- (1) 3-4 lb whole young chicken
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled & seeds removed & then chopped
- 1 acorn squash, peeled & seeds removed & then chopped
- 1 whole red onion, peeled & roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 1 -2 sprigs of fresh sage, leaves removed & finely chopped
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Place a 12-inch cast iron skillet on one of the top racks of the oven. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels, both inside & out. Set aside & let rest while you peel & chop the squash & red onion.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the honey, olive oil, & fresh herbs. Set aside.
- Place the chopped squash & red onion in a large bowl. Pour about 1/2 of the honey mixture over the squash & onion, & toss well to coat. Season with salt & pepper.
- Rub the remainder of the honey mixture all over the outside of the whole chicken. Season with salt & pepper, to taste.
- Remove the hot cast iron skillet from the oven and swirl with a little olive oil to coat. Place the chicken upside down in the center of the skillet, and then arrange the squash & onion around it.
- Roast in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until the juices run clear. Let rest at least 15-20 minutes before flipping right side up & carving. Serve alongside the roasted squash and onion.